Adults — How can we look our best?
- Choose classic styles! 5 years from now you don't want your photograph to look dated.
Choose clothes that fit your body shape. (not too tight, not baggy) and that look good seated. Decide formal
(suits and dresses) or casual (shirts and jeans or slacks).
- Choose solid colors or subtle prints! Busy patterns and big stripes draw attention to your
body instead of your gorgeous face. They also make you look 5 pounds heavier.
- Wear 3/4 to long sleeves and long pants, (again we want to show off your face). Sleeveless arms photograph
very heavy looking.
- Shall I choose light or dark colors? If you are thin, pastels are fine but stay away from
bright white. If you want to look thinner, wear medium to dark colors. Soft knits or sweaters
show less wrinkles than cotton shirts. Softly draping fabrics are best.
- Wear open collars! Turtlenecks are only flattering for people with long necks or if you
are of grandparent age and you want to hide lines.
- Should I wear my glasses? If you wear glasses there are several alternatives. 1-Take out
the lenses and wear your empty frames so you look like yourself, 2-Borrow an empty pair of
frames from your eye doctor, 3-Have the anti reflection put on your glasses.
- Bring accessories that have meaning to you. Heirloom jewelry, scarves, belts, hats, watches
and special rings personalize your portrait. Make sure your hands and nails look great.
- Don't get a sun tan the day before. It is impossible to retouch burned noses and tone down
- Relax about your complexion! Any blemishes can be toned down with a touch up stick. But no
sweat, the finished prints will be retouched and you will look great.
- What should I do about makeup? All makeup should be in a matte finish. Stick to natural
(browns and grays) tones for the eyes. No sparkles, glitter or gloss. Thick mascara is great.
Choose a natural lip color that will enhance the shape of your lips. Men with heavy beards
should shave right before their session.
- You've got to have a great hair day! For men, haircuts the day before are out, Give it at
least a week to grow. Bangs shadowing the eyes are also out. For women, fuller hairstyles are
best for the sunlit outdoors.
- For groups, everyone needs to stand out equally in the photograph. We recommend everyone
dressing in medium to dark tones, head to toe. If you are wearing pastel tops, we recommend
khaki or light bottoms. For medium to dark tops wear dark bottoms. Different textures in the
tops look best.
- What colors are best for our group? Clients usually choose clothing colors, keeping in mind
the colors of the room where they want to hang their portrait. Choose clothing colors that will blend (not
clash) with colors in your home. Some popular color combinations in groups are:
- Will my shoes show? Yes, no white shoelaces, white socks, or white soles. Flat-soled shoes
are best for comfort and walking around the ranch. Loafers, topsiders, flats, or boots work well
with dark socks.
- Can we bring our family pet? Yes, horses can be trailered to our ranch. Dogs should come with
brown or black leash, plus treats and cats in their carriers.
- How can I frame my portrait? Alison, our design consultant, will be happy to recommend
appropriate framing for your wall décor. Our framing is done on the premises at prices 1/3
less than custom framers. Please let us know if your wall space requires a horizontal
(landscape) or vertical size.
- A note about groups: Occasionally family members want to bring their cameras or
video to the photography session. Your portraits can be ruined by the distraction and
interruption of our creativity, flow and rapport with your family. Please tell them to leave
their cameras at home. Let us do our job of creating a relaxing and fun photography experience
What if I need to change my clothes? We have a changing room at the studio with air
conditioning, mirrors, closet, bathroom and plugs for curling irons.
When will I see the images? In two weeks, your slide show presentation will be ready. We
don't make paper proofs. Instead, you see your gorgeous images enlarged on the wall. Before you
leave the photography session, we will schedule your next appointment for the slide show. You
will also get a detailed price sheet so you can think about gifts for relatives and wall décor
for your home and office.
Who should come to the slide show? All the adults (especially those who are paying for the
portraits). Children are not recommended as the show takes about 2 hours. A 50% deposit
is required with your order. Finished prints are normally ready in 6-8 weeks.
What if I need to reschedule or cancel? Do to our advance bookings, with a 14–day
notice or more your session fee is 100% refunded.
Less than 14 days the session fee is non-refundable.
Last minute checklist for in the car
- Go through your closets now to see what clothes will work. Lay the outfits together,
to see if they blend.
- Shop for what you will need.
- The day before your session make sure all the outfits are clean and ironed.
- Additional clothing changes if desired and accessories (clean and ironed)
- makeup, curling iron and brush
- Day timer schedules for two weeks ahead to book the slide show presentation